Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to come to the office to receive copies of the RMC records?

You do not have to come into the office to receive copies of the RMC records; however, you must send a written request and $5.00 to receive the copies.

Do I need to record a Power of Attorney?

Power of Attorney does not have to be recorded in the RMC office. However, most banks, hospitals, investment firms, etc. require them to be recorded. Recording a Power of Attorney document ensures that in the event the original is lost, a certified copy is always available.

How do I find out who owns a piece of property?

The RMC Office records by the owner's name and legal description. If you do not have the owner's name, you can research the property in the Assessor's Office on the tax maps. By locating the piece of property on the tax map, a parcel number can be used to find the owner's name.

How do I get a building permit?

For building permits located anywhere in the County except in the cities of Aiken and North Augusta, apply at the Planning & Development Department (803.642.1518). You will need to bring two sets of construction plans, and know your tax parcel number. If you will not be using public sewer, a septic tank permit from DHEC is required. A building permit is required for any construction valued at $1,000 or more. A General Contractor's License is required for anyone constructing a non-residential building valued more than $5,000.

For building inside the cities of Aiken or North Augusta, please contact their building permit offices.

How do I get more information on an appeal against the valuation of real property?

How do I know if my vehicle qualifies for a high mileage discount?

We have a chart provided to us by the Department of Revenue for mileage adjustments. You can contact the Auditors office by calling 803.642.1510 or e-mail and give us your mileage and year of your vehicle to find out if you are eligible.

How do I know which fire district I am in?

Fire district boundaries were established by County Council in 1988. Most areas of the County are served by volunteer fire departments. Call the GIS Mapping Division at 803.642.7592 to see which fire department protects your house.

How do I register my vehicle?

Bring your title or old car registration form to the Auditor's Office. The Auditor's Office will issue you a tax bill, which must be paid in the Treasurer's Office in the same building.

Take your paid tax receipt and title or car registration to the SC Division of Motor Vehicles at 1755 Richland Avenue East in Aiken or 1711 Ascauga Lake Road in North Augusta to complete the registration and obtain your tag.

For questions concerning vehicle registration, contact the SC DMV at 800.442.1368 or visit their website at

How do I report littering or illegal dumping?

Call the Litter Buster Hotline at (toll-free) 877.754.8837 to report littering. Call 803.502.STOP to report illegal dumping.

How do I transfer a tag (license plate)?

The transfer of a license plate is handled through the State's Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV). A visit to the County's Auditor's office is not needed when a license plate is being transferred. There are certain requirements in ownership and weight of the vehicle that the plate is being transferred from and also the vehicle it will be transferred onto. Contacting one of the local SCDMV would be advisable prior to their visit.

SCDMV locations in Aiken County:

North Augusta

How far back do the County's RMC (deeds, etc.) records go?

Records in the Aiken County RMC Office date back to 1872 and are public information.

I did not get a tax bill. Who do I call?

Please call the Auditor's Office at 803.642.1510.

I have paid a tax lien, but it is still on my credit report. Will you take it off, or write a letter that it is paid?

The RMC office records the original tax liens and satisfies and / or releases them upon notification from SC Department of Revenue or Internal Revenue Services (IRS). The credit reporting agencies gather the information once the liens are recorded, but only rarely do you ever pickup when the lien is satisfied or released. If the tax lien has been satisfied and/or released, you may obtain a copy and send it to the credit reporting agencies and ask that the liens be removed from your credit report.

I have some paint/thinners/chemicals/ that need to be disposed of. Where can I take these?

Please contact the Aiken County Solid Waste Division at 803.642.1533 for the proper procedures and locations to dispose of these hazardous wastes.

I think my property taxes are too high. What causes this?

Please click here for more information about taxes in Aiken County.

I want to apply for flood insurance. How can I find out if I qualify?

If I paid off my mortgage, when will I get a copy of my deed?

In South Carolina, you must own the property before you can mortgage it. Most likely, you would receive a copy of a deed when property was purchased. The mortgage company is responsible for satisfying your mortgage.

Is the information in the RMC Office online?

In 2005 the RMC Office implemented a document indexing and imaging system. Deeds and other real estate documents are scanned and available for viewing immediately. The online index starts from 1982 and can be searched for and viewed in the eGov section of our website.

Landfills - Where are they located, Hours of Operation and Holiday closing schedule.

Aiken County no longer operates a public MSW landfill. You may take your garbage and recyclables to one of the Residential Recycling Drop-Off Centers listed here.

Construction debris and yard vegetative debris (no trash), and furniture can be taken (7:30 AM to 5 PM Monday through Saturday) to the Barden C & D Landfill located at 411 Connector Road in Graniteville. The County's Wagener C & D Landfill accepts the same type of debris plus dead animals. The Wagener Landfill is located at 1769 Wagener Trail Road (Hwy 138) approximately 4.5 miles southwest of Wagener, and is open Wednesdays from 7:30 am until 5:00 pm.

Holiday closings for all drop-off centers and landfills are January 1st, Martin Luther King Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. If you have any questions, contact the Solid Waste Division of the Public Works Department (803.642.1533).

Must I notify someone before burning leaves or limbs in my yard?

According to the SC Forestry Commission website, State law requires that you notify the Forestry Commission prior to burning outdoors. In most cases, the law applies to burning leaves, limbs and branches that you clean up from your yard. The notification law does not apply within town or city limits, but other local ordinances may apply within those areas; be sure to check with those local officials before burning. In Aiken County, dial toll-free 800.895.7057 for a quick, easy way to make your yard debris burning notification. Just dial the number, listen to the message, and leave your name, address and phone number. The law requires that you clear a firebreak around the burning site and have the right equipment available to keep the fire under control. You must also stay with the fire until it is completely safe. Please visit the Forestry Commission's website for more information on outdoor burning:

My neighbor has a house which is falling down and his pool is full of green slime. Who do I call?

Call the Planning & Development Department at 803.642.1518 to obtain a Nuisance Complaint form which must be filled out and signed by five residents living within 1000 feet of the nuisance. Return the form to Planning & Development for action.

For health concerns, call the Environmental Sanitation Division of DHEC at 803.642.1637.

My road needs scraping. Who do I call?

Roads are scraped approximately every six weeks. If your road needs attention, call the Public Works Department, Road and Bridges Division at 803.642.1532.

Recycling - What to recycle, Where to recycle and Holiday closing schedules.

Aiken County no longer operates a public MSW landfill. You may take your garbage and recyclables to one of the Residential Recycling Drop-Off Centers listed here.

Citizens are requested to recycle cardboard, mixed paper (newspaper, junk mail, phone books, magazines, soft cover books, and hardbound books; No. 1 and 2 plastic bottles, aluminum cans, steel cans, wet cell batteries, scrap metal and appliances, vegetable oil, used oil, oil filters, oil bottles, and tires. Old MIXED FUEL may be taken to the Belvedere, Langley, or Reynolds Pond Drop-Off Centers and placed in the special (red) tank.

NO waxed paper, vinyl coated paper, plastic cards, or trash is to be placed in recycling containers. To do so is considered ILLEGAL DUMPING and subjects one to court appearance with possible fines and/or several hours of community service time.

Holiday closings for all drop-off centers and landfills are January 1st, Martin Luther King Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

If you have any questions, contact the Solid Waste Division of the Public Works Department (803.642.1533).

What are County office hours?

County Offices are open from 8:30 am until 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

What are the reasons to file an appeal against the valuation of real property?

What days are County Offices closed?

County Offices are closed on official holidays - New Year's Day, Martin Luther King's Birthday, Good Friday, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

What Does RMC stand for?

Register of Mesne Conveyance

What is the Register of Mesne Conveyance Office?

The Register of Mesne Conveyance (RMC) office handles all of the recordings of real estate in Aiken County. All mortgages, deeds, and plats of property, easements, and rights of way are recorded in this office. Also recorded are the South Carolina tax liens, federal tax liens, mechanics liens, and UCC finance statements. A law firm, bank, mortgage company, or individual may record these documents. After recording, the documents are scanned and the image is permanently saved in the RMC records. These records are public information. The RMC Office also records Military DD-214 forms. To obtain a copy, you must present a valid identification before the information can be released.

What is this thing on my tax bill about a fire fee?

Fire fees are assessed by the fire departments on all properties located within their fire district. Fire departments do not get any tax money from Aiken County to operate the fire departments and must use fire fee money for operational expenses (equipment purchases, utilities, fuel, fire fighting supplies, etc.). Under terms of contracts with the county, a fire fee is assessed in the County budget ordinance for each fire district, and is billed on the County's property tax bill. If the fire fee is not paid by the time property taxes become delinquent, many of the fire departments have instructed the County to turn the unpaid fees over to a collection agency.

Please contact your fire department for more information about their fire fees.

When can you file an appeal against the valuation of real property?

An appeal must be filed in writing within 30 days of receiving the assessment notice. You must file your appeal with the County Assessor. Don't wait until your tax bill arrives to appeal your new value; it's too late then.

Where are deeds recorded?

All records relating to property (deeds, mortgages, plats) are recorded in the RMC Office (803.642.2072) in Suite 2100 of the Aiken County Government Center at 1930 University Parkway in Aiken. Copies of deeds can be obtained at a minimal cost.

Where can a list of property taxes for communities within Aiken County be obtained?

Where can I find out my official 911 street address?

Visit the 911 Addressing Office (803.642.2054) at the ServiceCenter. You will have to show them on a map where your house is located, and where your driveway comes off the road.

Where can I get County maps?

The Service Center (803.642.7592) has various County maps for sale. The Official County Road Map Atlas, which includes all Federal, State, and County roads (paved and dirt), is also available for sale for $25, or can be downloaded for free here.

Where can information on property appraisals are be obtained?

Where can land (real property) records be obtained?

Who can file an appeal against the valuation of real property?

The property owner has the right to appeal the new value assigned to their property if, after receiving their assessment notice, they disagree with the new value.

Who do I call to arrange for garbage pickup?

If you live in one of the cities, call the city for information about garbage pickup. The County does not provide garbage pickup in the unincorporated area of the County. You will have to call a private company to get garbage picked up at your house.

All County residents can use the County Recycling Drop-off Centers to dispose of their household garbage. Please click here for more info and the Center closest to you.

Who fixes potholes on roads?

It depends if the road is a state road, a city road, or a County road.

State roads can be identified by black signs at the intersection (S-2-xxx). Call the SC DOT Highway Maintenance Department at 803.641.7665 to request repairs on a state road.

If you live in a city and the road is not a state road, call that city's Public Works Department.

If you live in the County and the road is not a State road, call the County Roads and Bridges Division at 803.642.1532.

Who provides water in my area?

The County has no control over water providers in the county. Check with your next door neighbor to see who is the water provider. Please click here for a list of the public water providers in Aiken County.

Government Center, 1930 University Pkwy | Aiken, SC 29801 Aiken County Government | © 2019